For NYE we wanted to do something special, something that is deep in the Italian traditions but with a personal touch of our 5chefs crew, so we came out with this extraordinary recipe.
GRILLED OCTOPUS IN A SMOKEY TOMATO SOUCE (Polpo grigliato con pomodorino affumicato) and RADICCHIO SALAD.
The choice was made because is an easy and fast recipe so that everyone can enjoy the night of feast, but it has also an exceptional and delightful taste.
From north to south Italians make this dish in many variants, enriching the plate with several different ingredients. We found that olives ( green and black) and potatoes work perfectly, especially with fish.
We will charcoal grill the octopus and the cherry tomatoes, so to give it that distinct and delicious smokey taste.
for 4 people
- octopus (2 large tentacles each)
- 600g cherry tomatoes
- 1 small red onion
- 1 large red potato
- 1 fresh red chilly
- 500g fish stock
- olive oil and salt
- 1 large radicchio di Chioggia (the round shaped one)
- 1 orange
- semi-dried black olives
- 1 clove of garlic
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar from Modena
- Put the fish stock to reduce until 1/4 of his original volume.
- Start your grill and when is almost ready, place the cherry tomatoes on a square of thin kitchen foil, seasoning them with extra virgin olive oil, salt and a pinch of black pepper. Seal them well to make sure they won’t lose moist on the grill. Place it in the hottest spot and keep turning it every 2 mins. The tomatoes will be ready as soon as they get soft and start to break down, ( around 10 minutes).
- Sweat the red onion in extra virgin olive oil then add the cherry tomatoes (previously smoked) in a pan on the higher heat (Tip: the heat must be very hot and keep stirring to avoid to burn it). When they start to release some moist, turn down the heat then add the potatoes (previously peeled and cut in small cubes (Tip2: make small chunks for a short cooking time), add also some Tbsp. of fish stock, a whole steam of basil ( to be removed completely when the sauce is ready), capers and seasoning. Cook the sauce until the potatoes are soft (Tip3: careful to not to overcook the potatoes and break them down). Keep adjusting the sauce with fish stock until ready.
- Start to cook the octopus. At first boil it for (15-20 mins), then place it on the BBQ and be careful on not to overcook it as the octopus is already cooked (you just need to grill it to give the smoky flavor)
- Meanwhile, wash and cut the radicchio, put it in a bowl and add the orange segment. Prepare the dressing mashing together some grated garlic, olive oil, 2 anchovies and a couple of Tbsp of balsamic vinegar. When it gets nice and creamy, mix it with the salad. Finish it adding the black olives, a couple of anchovies handbraked, ground pepper, oregano and finally adjust salt and vinegar.
- At this point, the octopus should be ready. Time to plate. Place the tentacles and season them with a touch of salt and extra virgin olive oil. Lay a couple of spoons of your sauce and potatoes on the octopus, shave some fresh chilly and dust with finely chopped parsley.
Enjoy your dinner and the end of the year!